THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE, WORLDWIDE, want to start a mail order business. But most people overlook the obvious when starting their business. What’s the obvious? It’s:
- Mail order sales of specialized materials–such as educational videos, DVDs and software is much easier than mail order sales to the general public.
- You can easily rent specialized lists of prospects and make sales to 5% to 6% of these, while sales to general-public lists run 1%, or less.
“SO WHAT KINDS OF VIDEOS AND SOFTWARE can I sell,” you ask. The best kinds of videos (tapes and DVDs) or software to sell are:
- Educational videos or software that teaches adults how to perform specific tasks–such as:
- Doing home electric wiring hookups
- Docking a boat, landing an airplane
- Skiing of various types–cross-country, downhill
- Operating computers/understanding them
- Dancing fo couples–ballrom, contests, etc.
- Bowling, running, jogging, in-line skating
- Plumbing, carpentry, gardening, etc.
- Professional videos/software helping a variety of highly educated people keep up with advances in their field. Some videos and software offer continuing education credits to buyers, making the purchase tax-deductible.
“SO HOW CAN I GET STARTED selling specialized videos and software by mail order” you ask. Here are your easy steps:
- Decide which specialized group you want to sell to.
- Look in any large public library for a copy of Bowker’s Complete Video Directory, Vol. 3 & 4, Education/Special Interest. Search it for the videos which you want to sell to your market.
- Find suitable software in similar directories you’ll find in any large public library in your area. There are many such directories.
- Contact publishers of your video/software and get data on discounts and shipping deals they offer. Get the highest discounts!
- Rent a mailing list of suitable prospects for the items you want to sell to people with your chosen special interests/needs.
- Make your mailing, using a fulfillment house to do the actual work of the mailing for you. See your phone book Yellow Pages.
- Collect your orders; bank the money; ship the items ordered; go on to future sales to a larger market you’d like to serve.
- Expand your advertising to include the Internet and other suitable outlets. Build your business as large as you want to!
Copyright © 2002 by International Wealth Success, Inc. All rights reserved.
Tyler G. Hicks, the president of International Wealth Success Inc., is the author of many wealth building publications, including the Mail Order Riches Success Kit.