THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE, WORLDWIDE, want to start a mail order business. But most people overlook the obvious when starting their business. What’s the obvious? It’s:
- Mail order sales of specialized materials–such as educational videos, DVDs and software is much easier than mail order sales to the general public.
- You can easily rent specialized lists of prospects and make sales to 5% to 6% of these, while sales to general-public lists run 1%, or less.
“SO WHAT KINDS OF VIDEOS AND SOFTWARE can I sell,” you ask. The best kinds of videos (tapes and DVDs) or software to sell are:
- Educational videos or software that teaches adults how to perform specific tasks–such as:
- Doing home electric wiring hookups
- Docking a boat, landing an airplane
- Skiing of various types–cross-country, downhill
- Operating computers/understanding them
- Dancing fo couples–ballrom, contests, etc.
- Bowling, running, jogging, in-line skating
- Plumbing, carpentry, gardening, etc.
- Professional videos/software helping a variety of highly educated people keep up with advances in their field. Some videos and software offer continuing education credits to buyers, making the purchase tax-deductible.
“SO HOW CAN I GET STARTED selling specialized videos and software by mail order” you ask. Here are your easy steps:
- Decide which specialized group you want to sell to.
- Look in any large public library for a copy of Bowker’s Complete Video Directory, Vol. 3 & 4, Education/Special Interest. Search it for the videos which you want to sell to your market.
- Find suitable software in similar directories you’ll find in any large public library in your area. There are many such directories.
- Contact publishers of your video/software and get data on discounts and shipping deals they offer. Get the highest discounts!
- Rent a mailing list of suitable prospects for the items you want to sell to people with your chosen special interests/needs.
- Make your mailing, using a fulfillment house to do the actual work of the mailing for you. See your phone book Yellow Pages.
- Collect your orders; bank the money; ship the items ordered; go on to future sales to a larger market you’d like to serve.
- Expand your advertising to include the Internet and other suitable outlets. Build your business as large as you want to!
Copyright © 2002 by International Wealth Success, Inc. All rights reserved.
Tyler G. Hicks, the president of International Wealth Success Inc., is the author of many wealth building publications, including the Export-Import Success Kit.